Saturday, December 2, 2017

I've never actually messed with MIBs before, or even understood what exactly they are

I've always felt like a lackluster networking guy, because when people start talking MIB, I go blue in the face and I don't really know what is going on.

I know it has to do with SNMP.

I've set up many devices (routers/switches/asa's) in SNMP, and added them to stuff like Orion Solarwinds, PRTG, etc..

I've never touched MIB.

I know it stands for Management Information Base... I know it's kind of like a "users manual" that tells the SNMP Manager Server how to "read" the device.. but how is it that I've never had to actually set this up and usually SolarWinds will know exactly what the device is and reads all sorts of stuff from it anyway, like CPU, memory, interface drops, etc.

Any good reading out there about MIBS that would be good for someone at my current understanding level to jump into?

I prefer tutorials that may actually hold your hand and walk you through some stuff, accompanied either by videos or pictures.



No comments:

Post a Comment