Friday, December 8, 2017

I am a new tech at an MSP with no experience. My boss has dumped a huge (to me) Juniper project in my lap to be done by Monday at noon. Can anyone please help? I have no idea what I'm doing.

I didn't lie in my interview or anything. I have next to no networking experience, and I'm happy to learn by diving in, I'm just getting worried about the deadline. I know for someone who knows what they're doing this is pretty trivial, but figuring out which IPs to plug in is mostly where I'm getting hung up. I don't understand the protocols well enough, I guess.

The overview is that we have 11 SRX300 firewalls that need to be set up in a full mesh (due to outdated software the boxes behind the firewalls are using).

A list of things I need to do:

Set up interface 0 as WAN - done/easiest thing in the world

Set up destination NAT/Port forwarding - I don't really know if I'm setting this up correctly. I also don't know how to test this in a lab environment. I have a list of ports that need to be set up, but I don't know how to tell if traffic is properly being forwarded through. How to I send traffic to say interface one, and know that it was forwarded properly? Also, I have more than eight ports that need to be forwarded, but the limit is eight. Do I just set up another ruleset for the extra ones?

Set up GRE tunnels between all the SRXs - so far I've gotten this configured between two and it's working fine. However, is there any way to...nest(?) tunnels under on one gr-0/0/0 interface, or do I have to create a big list of them - e.g. gr-0/0/1 gr-0/0/2 etc. and set static routes for all 10 of them?

Set interfaces 1-5 onto one VLAN that gets the port forwarded traffic - okay, so this one I don't know if I've set it up correctly. I have created a VLAN and stuck interfaces into it, but I don't know if I'm setting up the IRB part correctly. And then I'm wondering how the GRE tunnels will work. I had them set up before the VLAN was a requirement, so it was easy to plug in IPs and get them talking. Will I just reference the VLAN instead of IPs?

Also, unless I'm missing something - do the interfaces inside the VLANs get their own IPs, or does the VLAN treat it as though they were all (for example) 192.168.1.1? I don't see a step in any of the VLAN configuration tutorials where I set IPs for the interfaces I put into the VLAN.



No comments:

Post a Comment