Friday, December 8, 2017

How can I stop a static IP assignment from a user?

I work in a school district. While I was out a student assigned their personal device connected to our network port to the default gateway IP of the vlan. This caused alot of problems as there was now an IP conflict.

How can I prevent this from happening? We have used clear-pass for MAC auth on some of our campuses with Aruba edge but I did not like it. It always seemed buggy. Currently we are rolling out Extreme Networks to our entire network and we have no authentication rules for the port. Essentially a student could plug into any Ethernet port and get an IP with whatever device they have. Is there a a way to block users on the edge from assigning them-self a certain static IP? Maybe an ACL? I am by no means an expert!

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment