Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Google Wifi or Netgear Nighthawk To Cover a Dead Spot

The wifi in my house is horrible, and I have been giving serious consideration to going to a Mesh system. Where my router and Modem are currently located, is in my home office where my fiance does her work from home, and where I need a decent wifi connection, is in my game room upstairs.

Now, the wifi router that Optimum gave us (a D-Link DIR-868L router paired with a Arris TM822G Modem) doesnt quite reach the game room, even though its roughly 150 feet away, like one room over upstairs from where its located.

I have an Amped SR20000 located in the room right above the office, and I still find the wifi to be severely lacking in my gaming room, with drop outs constantly happening, and just horribly slow speeds. It doesnt help that customizing a Optimums router is a chore.

My questions are whether I hooked a Google WiFi mesh system would alleviate the slow connections and drop out, or if I should go for just the Nighthawk and keep my Amped bridge, if I still have a weak connection in my gaming room with the Nighthawk installed.

I just dont know if I want to spend the current price of $269 for Google WiFi or the far better price of $199 for the Nighthawk. I feel like the nighthawk will give me the boost of range I need, or at least enough power to give a better signal to my Amped extender, so there wont be as much of a connection loss.

I feel like mesh networking would just have inherent latency issues, like having multiple extenders dont give you faster wifi, just more consistent wifi. I want stronger signal with the least amount of speed loss, in literally just one spot of my home, and my current router and Extender solution isnt helping as much as Id like.

Which would get me the best bang for my buck?



No comments:

Post a Comment