Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Building my first medium sized office network. Want some tips on getting the most speed possible!

Hello, so I've been working in the IT field for about 4 years now but its mostly been working with individual computers and setting up a network with maybe 12 computers at most. This is my first large project and while I understand the basics and some intermediate level stuff, I'd really like some tips on how to set up a 30 to 40 computer network with a NAS and about 10 printers.

Long story short I was given this project with the client full and well knowing I was going to be learning as I go. The network was poorly set up to begin with, done by the internet company on a shoe string budget.

First of all, here's a quick and dirty diagram of the network: http://ift.tt/2CGrPVS

There are 2 48 port catalyst 3560 100mbps switches, one for data the other for voip the server is a dell of some sort, it seems to be fast enough to not have issues. the router is a NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit WiFi Router (R8000)

The goal of this network is for everyone to be able to access their files (photos and pdfs mostly) from the server and run their software (its called abacus, its law firm management software)

Now I know one of the biggest issues is the room with 12 computers in it that has only one ethernet wall outlet and several cheap 4 port switches daisy chained together. It has another ethernet output in there, maybe more, but it is not hooked up and many desks are in the way.

The main questions I have are as follows: Is the server room wired correctly? Does it matter where on the network the router is? What can be done about the room with 12 computers and only one or 2 ethernet outlets? How much of a help will upgrading to 1gbps switches?

And any other information that would be helpful. Thank you so much in advance!



No comments:

Post a Comment