Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Warm Spare or One Stack - Meraki MS425

We are looking to replace our core switch (currently Cisco 6509-E) with 4 Meraki MS425's. I have gone back and forth with the topology and come up with two ideas and wan't to get some feedback on each. We have multiple buildings using two fiber pairs to connect each back to our MDF. Here are my options:

1) Create two stacks with two switches each and configure one of the switches to be a warm spare. Each building would have a single fiber connection to each switch stack that would be connected to separate building switches.

2) Create one four switch stack and use LACP to connect to the buildings. Again, each building would have a fiber connection to different switches in the core stack and different building switches for redundancy.

The issues I see is that in scenario 2, if I lost the building switch that was connected to the primary core stack I don't believe the warm spare would pass traffic, I think that only kicks in if the primary stack were offline. In scenario 1, the switch stack would need to reboot during upgrades and cause an outage. What am I missing and which way should I go? I am leaning toward option 2 but wanted a 2nd opinion. Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment