Thursday, November 9, 2017

Trouble ticket categorization mini-project

Hey guys, I was hoping to get a little advice/input on a small side project of mine that I just started. For context, I'm a few months into a network engineer role at a large company with an on-call function for a few weeks a year (broken up over the year). I have yet to enter the rotation for on-call, but I want to be as prepared as possible when I do.

So, I had an idea to go through all trouble tickets that directly involve my department, starting from my first day working. I have been recording the ticket #, date/time brought to our department's attention, briefly summarize the problem/resolution, and make note of any useful commands or questions I may have from each one. So far, I've gotten through about a months worth of tickets, which amounts to ~50.

My goal here is at the very least get familiar with our processes and what's expected of our department in the event of XYZ problem when it's dropped into my lap. With luck, maybe I could even devise a sort of loose playbook for commonplace problems. So far I have noticed a bit of a trend with common trouble calls we have, so I do think that is possible.

However, I'm having trouble thinking of a way to visualize the data in an efficient way. The way I've been doing it so far is to just write stuff out in excel cells for each respective section (crude, I know). Obviously this isn't a the best way to get a 'big picture' view. One idea I had was to go through each of my entries after say, 100 tickets and come up with a color coded legend to categorize the trouble tickets.

Does anyone have any advice or pointers on how to best do this? Also just in general - should I be doing something in addition to what I have been doing so far? I'll gladly answer any questions if I left anything important out, and of course any feedback is very appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment