Thursday, November 9, 2017

Solarwinds and Palo Alto - SNMP hardware monitoring possible?

Recently I was wandering the MDFs in my campus and found a PA-5060 with a bad power supply. Surely I must have ignored the alert. Nope. It turns out that the node details in Solarwinds do NOT show ANY hardware status. No fan RPM, no power supply voltage, status? nothing. I started searching around, and only found TRAP MIBs for power supply insert / remove / fail.

Surely this can't be right? The only information I found was a CLI command for hardware health. Apparently the GUI has no way of displaying if your chassis is running low on power or fans...

So I'm in a situation that I either need to hire a monkey to watch the chassis LEDs, or write a script to run the CLI commands every hour.

Or am I missing something stupid obvious?



No comments:

Post a Comment