Thursday, November 9, 2017

Small managed switch (4 – 16 ports) - recommendation

Hi all,

Could you please help me to choose a small L2 switch with management?

Requirements: VLANs, trunking, STP Optional: LACP

I'll need to buy more than one so it should be affordable (new or something used from eBay). I'd prefer CLI over web management but I don't assume that I'll use management regularly so web is fine.

Clients on the switch are not servers so I don't have high requirements for switching and that's probably a reason why I'm thinking about something that isn't a switch with ASIC. Something like Raspberry Pi with many Ethernet ports and Linux with configured bridge might do the job.

It's not easy to find good inexpensive small switch since I found for example TP-Link TL-SG108E that is cheap but it has huge issue with security. Management IP on this switch is accessible from all VLANs which is pretty crazy from security perspective.

Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment