Thursday, November 9, 2017

Issues with Comcast static IP space and "bridge mode"

All,

Ok, so I've had my third issue with this in as many weeks, and I'm starting to become annoyed. I seem to keep having issues with Comcast business connections, which for whatever reason don't want to work when in bridge mode (directly binding a public IP on my equipment). Comcast supposedly places the equipment in bridge mode (or I do it myself) and without fail, I cannot reach the gateway IP after assigning the IPs in question. If I reconfigure for DHCP, my equipment pulls an IP without fail and works flawlessly; but I'll be damned if it wants to work with my assigned static IPs. At first I figured it was just a fluke, but it has happened 3 times now since mid Oct. and I'm starting to think it's not a one-off.

I have spent countless hours on the phone with support, but I can't seem to make any of the monkeys understand that when I say I cannot access the "gateway" I mean I can't frakking reach the gateway IP I was assigned with my static IP space and I don't mean the "sharty SOHO modem they put onsite". Every single time, they try to explain that I cannot access the "gateway" (meaning their damn modem) because it is in bridge mode (A: No shit sherlock and B: technically I can with an additional IP in the 10.1.10.0/24 space).

I may have lost my temper with the last rep somehwat, and suggested that they google "Internet Protocol" and call me back when they were done reading the relevant wiki articles so we could talk using equivalent terms. That earned me a chuckle from my customer, but sadly they were unwilling to actually educate themselves.

Just hoping maybe someone else has bashed their head against this particular brick wall, and can save me the trouble of the 462nd explanation as to why exactly VPN tunnels can only be initiated from one side (after 3 hours of calls and 4 reps, my client insisted that I set it up dynamic and go with it). Either some way to explain to Comcast support exactly what the issue is, or even better, some knowledge of why this seems to be happening and what the hell to do about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment