Friday, November 24, 2017

How do you actually make the determination of going collapsed core or three-tier?

Disclaimer: I'm more of a voip guy

Our network refresh is coming up. We currently have a collapsed core design where our access switches plug directly into our core switches, dual-homed with ECMP routing, and the access switches advertise their local subnets. It works fine.

A member of our team though wants to add a pair of distribution switches to our order and move the access switches there off the core. When challenged on why he just says "it's how you're 'supposed' to do it," and can't explain any of the actual reasons or benefits.

Problem is we're a small IT shop and this substantially increases our price quote and I feel this just isn't necessary. There's only 8 access switches, four on each floor... is that really "big" enough to require a pair of distribution switches?

To me I just don't see what these switches would actually be doing other than just being another bump in the road for the access switches to go through.

I totally get the three tier architecture but I just don't think we need that.



No comments:

Post a Comment