Sunday, November 19, 2017

From Engineer to Management

Hello fellow Dudes and Dude-ettes.

I've been a Network & Infrastructure Security engineer for almost 12 years now, not including my time as a student or intern at Dell, Cisco or Boeing. Most of this time spent at Mega-Corps (FANG's of San Fran and Seattle), doing Cloud IaaS, Data Center and High Security Top Clearence stuff.

However, in the past few months I feel as if I am done with being an Individual Contributor. Meaning, the more Leadership opportunities I take on and execute successfully, the more intellectually and socially stimulated I become. It's addicting, fun, stressful and building a team and/or program seems to be something I do well.... At least, according to my peers.

I've been offered the opportunity to begin transitioning into a Sr Manager, then later Director role, at my current company.

I... I think I'm going to take it.

As a Engineer (Principal Engineer something something standard title), my salary is capped, stock is capped, bonuses are capped and there is no higher ceiling to shatter. I feel that I finally have enough Knowledge, Experience and Wisdom to really lift other peers up and help them become exceptional engineers. It's so rewarding and in my opinion, far more impact is possible when leveraging the best and worst of others in a team to deliver something.

*So - my question.*

How many of you made a successful (or unsuccessful) transition to being a Team Lead, Engineering Manager and/or Director / Senior Director in the Networking space?

Can you tell me your stories, should I do it? If it helps, I'm a exceptional people person and social butterfly, who happened to be good at the Technical side of the house.

tl;dr - Go into Leadership? Tell me your stories? I'm good at it so far. I don't want to be a piece of shit manager / director, as I have worked for plenty of shitty people before.



No comments:

Post a Comment