Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Fiber connectivity help

Disclaimer: I'm not a network engineer or a sysadmin but I'm the person in charge of it as well as my normal job at my company. This is a smallish business (50 people).

I'm trying to fix/update the network I've inherited (which is a mess). My current task is to run fiber from our downstairs network closet to our upstairs server closet (about 125 feet). Currently these are daisy chained together. I'd like to run 10g currently but of course leave room for upgrade. Based on my research, I was planning on running the following: MTP-12 MPO/MTP Cassette, 12-144 Fibers OS2 Single Mode 12 Strands MTP Trunk Cables, 30m give or take.

So is it really that simple? Get a pair of cassettes, slap them in a tray, buy the requisite amount of trunk cable, and plug it in? Is there anything missing I should be thinking about or am I completely missing anything else?

Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment