Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Extreamly simple fiber question:

Okay I'm retarded. I'll fully admit this so anyone can call me extra retarded off this question:

So I'm 80% sure I have a network engineer from another company screwing with me because I'm an idiot but I'm wanting to confirm I'm not actually as retarded as I think or find out how dumb my questions can go.

Essencially they're installing a jumper to get from our patch panel to our rad location.

Our rad is 1gps 205/ac

The transceiver we install is:

SFP, 1000bit, 1310nm

specifically sfp 1000sfp31b20l cmcp from champion one

Now I know for a fact we typically use MM fiber jumpers over these sort runs (sub 300ft). The loss under 500m for om3 or om4 should be negligible. It shouldn't matter, right?

We could also use 1310nm SM fiber to that transceiver... right?

Now I don't know the fiber patch panel connector (sc/lc) off the top of my head and for what it is worth it's mixed in my area so I do need to check that out.

But when i told this guy essencially "we normally use MM fiber for jumpers. SFP connectors at the isp end And ill have to check at the osp end. We use a 1000/sfp/1310 transceiver so we could use smf 1310" and he replies with:

"Get the connector type LC or SC, om3 vs 4, and fiber type sm and wavelength" I've given that information... right?

Om3 vs om4 won't matter on this run... sub 500 ft and only a max load of GBe. I don't think I've ever ran across om1 or om2 mm fiber, but I'm an idiot so what do I know.

We can and have mix SMF and mm Om3/om4 fiber with minimal loss.

We use sfp connectors on the isp end, but I do concede I have to check LC/SC...

What have I messed here...



No comments:

Post a Comment