Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Explaining Commute to Spouse?

So... at a minimum I have a 3 hour commute round-trip to work. Some days (bad days) it is 6 hours. I am expected to be in-front of a computer 9 hours + lunch M-Thur. Friday’s alternate to being off or 8 hours (9/80).

I’ve been having a hard time explaining this to my spouse (who required this as she wanted to be close to her son... we could have lived closer...)

Some days I leave early, but I still have hours I owe and I either need to take leave w/ an approved backup or catch up...

I’ve explained this conundrum countless times... some days I need to be gone for 17 hours due to the round trip commute and the 9 hours I need to put in... some days I leave later/early to dodge the commute, but I still need to clear my owed hours...

I can find closer work for a $20-30k/yr decrease (or without benefits) -“Merica”... which won’t work - unless I pick up a 2nd job.

How do I explain everything in her terms?

(I’ve been watching our (US) politics and may jump to Ireland/NZ/Aussie in the future so long as I can maintain my family’s level of comfort... even if I am constantly uncomfortable.)



No comments:

Post a Comment