Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Downsizing level of network devices based on total users?

I’m looking into cost savings / efficiency improvements for a network I manage and I’m looking to get opinions from people that aren’t trying to sell me things. We’re a Cisco environment (that won’t change).

In an environment serving less than 1000 personnel, we utilize ASR1004s, 4506s, and 6509s for boundary & distribution. Remote access and VTC, VOIP are eventualities but still don’t permit this level of overkill I think. We do have a firewall controlling NAT and will also control remote access when implemented, so losing the ASR wouldn’t do much of anything.

MGMT is considering “the cloud” (naturally), so I’d like to get trunk links at 10G, which would mean I could easily do this by throwing a bunch of 3850s in L3 in place of the routing gear, but I’d like to get other suggestions as well.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment