Monday, November 13, 2017

Does the port speed of your gateway determine the speed of your network?

Doesn't sound like it's right, but someone has me thinking that the speed of your gateway port speed, determines the speed of your network. I can understand the speed to the internet, but not the internal traffic? Right?

Scenario:

2x Core switches (Dell 4032F) Stacked with QSFP+

4x Workstation switches (Dell 3048P) Stacked with SFP+

1x Cisco ISR 4331 with only an SFP connection

If he's correct, because my Cisco ISR only has a 1Gb interface... my internal traffic is limited to 1Gb? Makes no sense to me; except for traffic going external... but maybe this is accurate because the ISR is my gateway... It's Monday, and has been a long weekend. Should I be making my Core switches the gateway instead if that's the case?

Thoughts?



No comments:

Post a Comment