Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Cisco SRST and e911 laws in the US

Hi everyone. I've got several remote locations that have an ISR G2 with an FXO to the POTS network that is used for e911 dialing. These locations can vary from one or two phones up to twenty or thirty. I would like to look into cheaper Cisco routers for some of my smaller locations. The problem is that a lot of the time some of these smaller routers will only support up to five or ten registrations during SRST mode.

What I would like to do is to put a smaller router out at some of these locations and then specify which phones will register to the router. I would then instruct the branch personnel that when the network goes down, only 911 calling would be possible, and only from certain phones.

My question is this: is there a legal requirement in the US to have every single phone register to the router in SRST mode and provide e911 dialing? I have not been able to find any legal documents that say that if there is a phone, then it needs to be able to call 911, but I am no expert in VoIP technologies. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment